Monday, August 14, 2006

1-2

Now a-days, every time I listen to poets talk, I am shocked by how much they want to belong. They really want to belong to a group or class or something. Imagine Van Gogh or Picasso or Frost squabbling to belong to some group full of wanna-bees, old women and old men blithering on about stuff they know.

NOW TOM, everyone wants to belong and to be understood by their peers. Who else really understands them? In the poetry world, the audience is made of people who write poetry themselves, thus the group is formed whether or not anyone chooses to be a part or not. Relax, be friends with the people who even have the least inclination to appreciate similar values in any art field.

4 comments:

Joshua Robbins said...

Saw that you included my blog in your links. Thanks for doing so and visiting. I've added you to my blogroll at Against Oblivion.

From reading your last entry, thought you might also be interested to read this entry & comments at my online column:

http://www.lawrence.com/blogs/tallow_glue/2006/aug/13/protest_poetry/

Best,

Josh

Jake Adam York said...

On the other hand, imagine Picasso without Jarry and Stein and Braque, or Dali without Arp and Tzara, or Eliot without Pound, or Yeats without Synge...

Isn't there some value to community, not so much as a framework for acceptance, or a place where your inner paranoia can emerge, but as a place to exchange ideas?

Otherwise, what's the linkroll for?

Tom said...

Josh,
Thank you, and I will read your blog and comment.

jake,
I might clarify that I think many poets are using the 'belonging to a group' as a cover for a lack of creativity.

Certainly artists and poets have benefited from sharing ideas, which is to be encouraged, but not to the extent where the 'belonging' is more important than the art.

Jake Adam York said...

T,

I'd agree with that.

J